[asterisk-users] Use AGi Commands without script in Dialplan

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at asterisk.open.source.it
Tue Oct 9 12:03:06 CDT 2018

On Tuesday 09 October 2018 at 18:52:59, Yves wrote:

> Am 08.10.2018 um 13:02 schrieb Antony Stone:
> > On Monday 08 October 2018 at 12:44:43, Yves wrote:
> >> I am looking for an easy way to execute any AGI Command directly from
> >> the dialplan without the need to call an external script.
> >
> > The whole point of AGI is that it calls an external script in order to
> > replace commands in the dialplan.
> >
> > Executing an AGI command without an external script doesn't make sense.
>
> Hi Antony,
>
> thanks for your answer, even if it is a bit disappointing for me. I
> understand the point... but...
> why arenĀ“t then all AGI-Commands also available as Dialplan Functions?

Good question.  Many would be very useful, I'm sure.

> I can only find a small amount of functions for the dialplan that could
> be seen as an equivalent or near-equivalent of an AGI Command...

Well, I can't give an answer to that, because I'm neither a developer nor an
interface designer for Asterisk.  I do think a lot of things could be made
more consistent between related ways of doing things (for example, voicemail
can be stored in an ODBC database - why not call recordings (without a lot of
tedious fiddling about to make it just about work) too?).

Maybe someone with better knowledge of the design choices behind such parts of
Asterisk can answer, or maybe it's worth putting in a feature request for some
sort of AGI dialplan command, to use AGI functions directly.?

Regards,

Antony.

--
"Can you keep a secret?"
"Well, I shouldn't really tell you this, but... no."

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.