[asterisk-users] Installation instructions for Opus are incorrect - maybe?

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Sun Jan 28 08:09:30 CST 2018

On Sat, Jan 27, 2018 at 05:25:48PM +0000, Jonathan H wrote:

> Hmm, as it's free and open, I wonder why opus isn't a core codec?

Digium seems to have some concerns regarding patent issues with Opus. As
such it will not distribute Opus. Rather, it will only distribute a
binary build of such a codec, that comes with a number of strings
attached, even thought a price tag for the end user is not one of them.

I am not a lawyer. I don't know of any specific secret information
Digium's lawyers may know about specific patents that may be an issue
here. I'll just point out that many companies, including the one I work
for the company I work for see no issue with using it and find no patent
issue here.

As such we use an external patch. See
https://github.com/traud/asterisk-opus .

Packages of Asterisk in any major distribution include this patch or
equivalents.

(Same should go for wp8 and wp9, and av1 in the future, if you care about
video)

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com