[asterisk-users] how to get "SMS" messages (http) into Asterisk "sip messages"

Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Mon Feb 19 05:00:33 CST 2018

On Mon, Feb 19, 2018, at 6:08 AM, Kevin Long wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We are building a shim to get SMS messages (which come in from twilio
> via an http post to our python web app), forwarded on to the appropriate
> SIP client registered to asterisk.
>
> The application receiving the “SMS” via HTTPS from twilio does not have
> a SIP component.
>
> I am hoping there are different ways to get the message details into
> Asterisk so that it can create a MESSAGE and send it to the local
> endpoint.
>
> Does anyone know the best way to get this information into Asterisk? Can
> I do it with AMI, AGI, a file queue ?
>
> Would love to hear from anyone who has implemented something like this.
> Outbound is the easy part. How are you handling inbound SMS->SIP ?

ARI can be used to send messages[1] or you can use file based origination[2] to send a message using the dialplan[3].

[1] https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Asterisk+15+Endpoints+REST+API#Asterisk15EndpointsRESTAPI-sendMessageToEndpoint
[2] https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Asterisk+Call+Files
[3] https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Asterisk+15+Application_MessageSend

--