[asterisk-users] opus from git : install questions

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Tue Feb 6 06:58:28 CST 2018

On Sun, Feb 04, 2018 at 03:15:02PM -0500, sean darcy wrote:

> On 13.9.0
> https://github.com/traud/asterisk-opus
>
> The README:
>
> Alternatively, you can use the Makefile of this repository to create just
> the shared libraries of the modules. That way, you do not have to (re-) make
> your whole Asterisk.
>
> The Makefile generates:
> codecs/codec_opus_open_source.so
> formats/format_ogg_opus_open_source.so
> formats/format_vp8.so
> res/res_format_attr_opus.so

See, e.g. the Debian package asterisk-opus:
https://packages.debian.org/source/sid/asterisk-opus

That package builds the opus modules as stand-alone modules out of the
tree of asterisk. It has a build-time dependency  on the binary package
asterisk-dev.

The list of files in it:

  /usr/lib/asterisk/modules/codec_opus_open_source.so
  /usr/lib/asterisk/modules/format_ogg_opus_open_source.so
  /usr/lib/asterisk/modules/format_vp8.so

IIRC res_format_attr_opus.so in Asterisk proper is by now good enough
and needs no patching.

> Without any of the patches the asterisk build generates:
>
> codec_opus.so
>
> format_ogg_opus.so

Not by default.

> res_format_attr_opus.so
>
> Questions:
>
> Should the *_opus_open_source.so be in modules with the *opus.so libraries
> from the asterisk build ? If not, do I build asterisk without selecting opus
> ? If they are in modules, how does asterisk know which library to use ?

You can either copy them to the Asterisk build directory (I do that in
another Asterisk package I maintain). The build system will just pick
them up and use them.

Alternatively, as suggested in the README above, build them outside of
the Asterisk tree (you'll need to point them to the asterisk source tree,
or at least to the installed asterisk header files and copy the
resulting .so files to the astmoddir (e.g. /usr/lib/asterisk/modules).

> The res_format_attr_opus.so library ?
>
> And another question, to enable PLC do I need to apply the patch even if I'm
> installing the libraries directly ?

Which patch specifically? I'm not sure I follow.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
http://www.xorcom.com