[asterisk-users] cdr_odbc.c:174 odbc_log: Unable to retrieve database handle. CDR failed.

hw hw at gc-24.de
Fri Dec 7 09:18:49 CST 2018

On 12/07/2018 03:08 PM, Joshua C. Colp wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 7, 2018, at 9:54 AM, hw wrote:

>>> This message is output when the "dsn" value provided in cdr_odbc.conf does not match a dsn/class (context name) configured in res_odbc.conf
>>>
>>> You should confirm they match and if still encountering a problem then provide the configuration.
>>>

>> Thanks, it's working now.  I've been using the name of the data source
>> rather than the name of the section.  It doesn't make any sense to call
>> it data source name (dsn) at places where the name of a section is expected.
>
> The cdr_odbc module originates from 15 years ago, so it's unsurprising.

Is it not being used much?

>> It also doesn't make sense that the section name in res_odbc.conf should
>> be relevant here.  Resources (res) would be configuration information
>> --- the tables for this are created with alembic --- while logging
>> information is something else --- and the tables for it are not created
>> with alembic.
>
> The resource module implements the interface to ODBC and provides/manages the connections. Other modules are consumers of it and thus reference it.

Then why doesn't alembic create the tables for logging as well as the
ones for configuration information?

>> This could use a lot of cleanup and (or at least) much better documentation.
>
> If you'd like to contribute documentation improvements they follow the same process as everything[1]. If there's wiki pages that could use improvement just leave a comment and after a few you'll be granted access to edit things.
>
> [1] https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Patch+Contribution+Process

I would have improved a wiki page yesterday if there had been a way to
do that.  Maybe if there were parts of the wiki for users to easily make
comments, more users would contribute.  Who has the time and is willing
to go through a lengthy contribution process which involves consulting
lawyers to figure out if it is advisable to sign the license agreement
after verifying if the agreement is even applicable in your country?
Finding lawyers knowledgable in international copyright laws is a task
in itself, and they're probably rather expensive ...  After that, you
need to address privacy concerns that could be involved as well ...

I'm certainly not going to give my full name and address etc. just to
improve a wiki page.  It's useless anyway because there's no way to
verify if the information is true.