[asterisk-users] Encrypting passwords in config files

Floimair Florian f.floimair at commend.com
Thu Aug 16 08:08:35 CDT 2018

Hey there!

I was wondering what the best practice is concerning passwords in Asterisk's config files.

ari.conf has a neat feature where one can use a pre-encrypted password by using

password_format=crypt

for an ARI user

However, I was wondering how to do similar things with e.g. database credentials when using realtime.

Right now I am using a plain-text password in res_odbc.conf to get the database connection working.

So the only protection here is restricting file permissions of the config file.

Two questions that arise from this:

Is there any other way to do this that I am missing?

If no, would it be a desirable to implement pre-encrypted passwords for other config files in the same way as it is done in ari.conf?

With best regards

Florian Floimair

Innovation - Software-Development

COMMEND INTERNATIONAL GMBH