[asterisk-users] Pass through registration / proxy

Telium Technical Support support at telium.ca
Wed Apr 11 11:04:18 CDT 2018

OK - I'll have to rethink how to solve this problem.  Maybe I made some
assumptions...here's what I'm trying to accomplish:

I've been given a legacy PBX with SIP capabilities.  I need to have SIP
phones connect to Asterisk (for other features, part of the next step) which
passes the calls through to the legacy PBX.  And conversely, calls to that
extension number on the legacy PBX have to ring the SIP phone connected to
Asterisk.

Maybe proxy is the wrong word I chose.  Asterisk is something like a peer to
the legacy PBX.  I thought about setting up individual SIP accounts on the
Asterisk box to connect to the legacy PBX, or maybe a SIP trunk to the
legacy PBX (assuming it can route calls through the SIP trunk to a peer to
reach a phone).  The legacy PBX is a Nortel in case that matters.

I'm supposed to figure this out and present options but having trouble
figuring out if Asterisk would be a peer, or pretend to be many sip agents
registering on the legacy Sip pbx, etc.  I think I'm stuck at the conceptual
level.  (Still a beginner in training - but having fun learning Asterisk)