[asterisk-users] CDR_TDS driver disappears - "does not provide a license key" on reload attempt

J Montoya asterisk_list at earthshod.co.uk
Fri Nov 10 07:55:30 CST 2017

On Friday 10 Nov 2017, Stefan Viljoen wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I have an Asterisk 1.8.32.3 instance that will at random intervals stop
> logging CDR data to MSSQL via FreeTDS.
>
> On investigation I'll find that the FreeTDS module has been unloaded
> somehow. It is not listed in cdr show status or show module like.
>
> Trying
> module load cdr_tds
> results in
> module cdr_tds does not provide a license key
> and the module is not loaded.
> .....  stuff deleted  .....
> I have this on multiple sites very far apart, different hardware, asterisk
> instances compiled at widely varying times.
>
> Anybody encountered this before?

The solution is to avoid proprietary software!

Asterisk's CDRs simply do not need any of the special proprietary crack that
comes with MSSQL or Oracle.  MariaDB or SQLite is perfectly adequate for its
needs  (hell, a flat text file will do the job).

If you *really* need your CDRs in an MSSQL database, you could use MariaDB as
an intermediate layer with binary logging enabled; and then use a few lines of
Perl or Python to translate the binlog from MariaDB's SQL dialect to
Microsoft's.

--
JM or AJS

Note:  Originating address only accepts e-mail from list!  If replying off-
list, change address to asterisk1list at earthshod dot co dot uk .