[asterisk-users] Need to restart Asterisk if remote server not working?

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at asterisk.open.source.it
Sat May 6 03:35:17 CDT 2017

On Saturday 06 May 2017 at 09:21:16, Luca Bertoncello wrote:

> Antony Stone schrieb:
>
> > 4. Did the IP address of Telekom's end of the connection change?
>
> I really don't know, but I suppose not

I suspect this may in fact have been the cause of your problem.

Firstly, I notice that tel.t-online.de has a non-trivial DNS entry:

$ host tel.t-online.de
tel.t-online.de is an alias for ims.voip.t-ipnet.de.
ims.voip.t-ipnet.de is an alias for ims001.voip.t-ipnet.de.
ims001.voip.t-ipnet.de is an alias for b-epp-001.isp.t-ipnet.de.
b-epp-001.isp.t-ipnet.de has address 217.0.18.36

Secondly I find forum entries from people observing that either the IP address
changes from time to time, or even that Telekom's DNS servers do not give the
same result as root name servers:

https://telekomhilft.telekom.de/t5/Telefonie-Internet/IP-Adressbereich-tel-t-
online-de/td-p/2325114

https://telekomhilft.telekom.de/t5/Festnetz-Internet/VoIP-Telefonie-DNS-
Aufloesung-von-tel-t-online-de/td-p/1563089

Certainly, with allth eother information you gave, if the IP addresses at both
ends stayed the same, I wouldn't expect an Asterisk restart to be necessary.

Regards,

Antony.

--
Your work is both good and original.  Unfortunately the parts that are good
aren't original, and the parts that are original aren't good.

 - Samuel Johnson

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.