[asterisk-users] Running asterisk as non-root

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Wed Mar 22 03:30:39 CDT 2017

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 08:54:22PM -0400, Jerry Geis wrote:
> I found a page that assisted in running asterisk as non-root.
>
> My question is why is the default install not more friendly in this
> manner???

It requires either creating a user or making sure such a user exists.
That's not a firendly thing to do in a typical 'make install'.

It is quite the expected thing on just about any packaging of Asterisk,
because there are relatively standard methods of creating users in the
context of a specific distribution.

> I mean basically the instructions changed the permissions to allow GROUP
> write, so 775 instead of 755 and changed the astrun to be a directory

That assumes USER or GROUP exists.

> Why doesn't the default install do this? Seems logical to me. I installed
> 11.25.1

If you're still not convinved, Patches are welcomed (for the master branch).

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
http://www.xorcom.com