[asterisk-users] OT: Explain where mailing list bouncing comes from ?

Tim S tim.strommen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 11:28:56 CDT 2017

I'd hazard to say it probably is Digium's "fault", this was a recent and
now consistent problem, which started within the last month or so.  I'm on
7 other Linux-related mailing lists which all use similar mailer daemons,
and none have this issue.  I have been subscribed to Asterisk
Users/Developers for over two years without issue.

Since the mailing-list system is seeing "bounces" on outbound, and I am not
when transmitting INTO the mailing list - this tells me that outbound
emails from the mailing-list system to Gmail are getting returned because
of some characteristic (either content, TX security functionality, or
mailer system configuration).  Mail being sent by Digium (even as a conduit
for user communications) can only be diagnosed by Digium.  I'd imagine that
if the mail admin looked at how many bounce emails have since been sent
over time, there will be a spike that can be correlated to:
* sender email addresses
* email subject/body content,
* a change they made in their system,
* a change they were supposed to make to their system but failed to.

And to the person who suggested using a non-free email, I do have those
accounts on my own mail system - but I don't use them for newsletters,
re-occurring bulletins, or public Linux mailing lists where "everyone" is
the receiver.  Not good web hygiene IMHO - like a white picket fence around
a yard, the general public can walk up and talk (to my Gmail), but I prefer
to only let family and friends through the gate and in the front door
(private email account).  This also makes filtering and spam detection much
easier while not sucking up my server time and storage space ;-).

My other issue is the quarterly password email reminder where the password
is sent in plain text... (facepalm).  Probably why spam has been a problem
on this board.

-Tim