[asterisk-users] OT: Explain where mailing list bouncing comes from ?

Daniel Tryba daniel at tryba.nl
Fri Jun 16 03:36:00 CDT 2017

On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 08:38:59AM +0100, J Montoya or A J Stiles wrote:
> > Whatever has been done, if anything, isn't working effectively.  At this
> > point I'd like to see some response from the mailing list admin about any
> > root-cause efforts, AFAIC this is starting to smear the Digium/Asterisk
> > brand's ability to handle IT related issues...  No response = no confidence
> > vote.
>
> It's hardly Digium's fault,

Actually it is. They are pretending to send email from our/your/my
emailadresses without taking the proper steps how to do this in a modern
age.

[snip google rant]

DMARC reports inform me that most rejections come from Google (500+),
Microsoft has far far less rejection (less than 10 IIRC), then comcast
and some other mail providers. It is just that most people (choose) use
Google, get over it.

What Google (and many many others) is doing is for the benifit of reducing
email spoofing and spam. Proper SPF/DKIM/DMARC are a must if you want to
send mail to the big parties. The time you could simply run your own
smtpd without any cares are long since gone, you need to comply to
current SMTP related RFCs to get mail accepted.

I'm still maintaining the idea that simply enabling DKIM signing on this
list solves the problem. It is supported by the MTAs I can see in the
headers and I linked to a howto in the past.

But Digium doesn't need to have this kind of knowledge, their business
is not SMTP based but SIP based (and I think they are great at that
business). But since the mailinglists are supplemental support services
it would be in their best interest to fix this mess in some way.