[asterisk-users] How to send SIP_NOTIFY messages with variable content ?

Olivier oza.4h07 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 07:10:29 CST 2017

Hello,

One common mean to remotely configure a phone is to send it some XML data
using HTTP.
Of course, this XML data is vendor specific but thanks to Asterisk multiple
tools, it is quite easy to customize your dialplan to both build and send
this specific XML data.

I have just discovered one interesting capability from one phone vendor:
getting XML data from incoming SIP NOTIFY messages instead of plain HTTP.

This has an advantage with remote phones as you do not have to keep an HTTP
connection alive to Asterisk box send XML content to registered phones.

I have just tried this capability: it works fine but I am now facing an
issue: for the moment, I must regenerate and reload a specific sip_notify
config file, each time I need to send some specific content.

If I am not mistaken, there is no Dialplan function or application able to
send SIP NOTIFY, right ?

Would you rate it as a welcome addition, either for SIP or PJSIP stack ?

Regards