[asterisk-users] Which tool to automatically restart Asterisk ?

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Mon Feb 27 08:38:31 CST 2017

On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 06:00:30PM +0500, Tahir Almas wrote:
> Sorry  ,  I  forget  it  for another monitoring tool  monit  that we have
> used  in  our production systems  to restart  asterisk  in case of asterisk
> crash or  halt.

[snip]

Some notes regarding the asterisk monit configuration:

> check process asterisk with pidfile /var/run/asterisk/asterisk.pid
>     group asterisk
>     start program = "/bin/bash -c 'ulimit -n 16386 && /etc/init.d/asterisk start'"

If you use systemd, this ulimit will have no effect: when you restart a
service, it is restarted from a separate systemd context (cgroup) and
not directly under your own.

It would generalyl be a good idea not to embed such settings in your
scripts and rather put them in a proper configuration file. What happens
in you happen to run '/etc/init.d/asterisk restart'? It seems that all's
well, until you're suddenly out of file descriptors.

>     stop program = "/etc/init.d/asterisk stop"
>     if does not exist for 2 cycles then restart
>     if failed port 5060 type udp protocol SIP
>         and target "011 at 127.0.0.1" maxforward 10
>         for 2 cycles then restart
>     if failed host 127.0.0.1 port 5038 with timeout 15 seconds for 2 cycles then restart
>     if 5 restarts within 5 cycles then timeout

Nice.

Also: what happens when you run 'core stop now' from within asterisk?

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com