[asterisk-users] Can't install package asterisk-dbgsym on Stretch [SOLVED]

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Sat Dec 16 04:08:55 CST 2017

On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 02:35:14PM +0100, Olivier wrote:
> Hi,

> > > 2. Is correct to understand that to get DONT_OPTIMZE, BETTER_BACKTRACE
> > and
> > > so on options compiled in, I must recompile anyway ?
> >
> > Right. DONT_OPTIMZE has a considerable performance impact.
>

> How would you roughly evaluate this performance impact ?
> I don't want to CREATE issues with performance penalties but I think I
> can't  afford to see Asterisk segfaults (a customer of mine has this with
> PJSIP) within having required data to open tickets.

DONT_OPTIMZE means building with hardly any compiler optimizations. Last
time I asked at #asterisk-dev they agreed with me it is not sensible to
ship such binaries.

> > I never
> > considered BETTER_BACKTRACE and its performance impact. Is it
> > independent of DONT_OPTIMZE?

I just did. Indeed it seems to be independent. I fail to see any real
run-time impact of this if not explicitly used. I must have missed
something, as otherwise it would have been surely enabled by default.
What did I miss?

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com