[asterisk-users] asterisk as non root

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at asterisk.open.source.it
Thu Apr 20 05:36:23 CDT 2017

On Thursday 20 April 2017 at 12:31:14, Atux Atux wrote:

> Hi. thanks a lot for your replies. I did stop the services and i did issued
> the  the "chown" and "chmod" commands listed in the guide.
> It is necessary to compile it, instead if using the apt-get version
> What am i missing?

Let's go back to basics for a moment - you say this is a Debian system - in my
experience Debian already runs Asterisk as the "asterisk" user and not as
root, so let's see what you have.

1. Start Asterisk (probably using "/etc/init.d/asterisk start", or maybe
"service asterisk start")

2. Check who it's running as: "ps aux | grep asterisk"

Antony.

--
What makes you think I know what I'm talking about?
I just have more O'Reilly books than most people.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.