[asterisk-users] PBX selection

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Tue Apr 18 13:03:24 CDT 2017

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 10:57:27PM +0800, Speed Boy wrote:
>  Hi all, I'm new to VoIP, now we have a project that needs a
>  PBX with client APPs.
> In our team we have argument for choosing PBX. By so far, we
>  have following candidates:
>
> A: Open source
>
>      1) Asterisk PBX (http://www.asterisk.org) (with longest
>  history that almost every one knows it, now the last version using the
> PJSIP stack)
>      2) FreeSwitch (http://www.freeswitch.org) (A lot people
>  recommended it to us)
>

> B: Commercial
>
>     1) Vodia PBX (http://www.vodia.com). It comes from SNOM, now
> acquired by a HongKong company now
>     2) PortSIP PBX (http://www.portsip.com/portsip-pbx). It
> also includes VoIP SDK, WebRTC and offer rebranding app for free.
>
> My boss prefers the Open Source PBX since they are free,
> but our CTO prefers the commercial editions, according to
> whom the business PBX has better support, and the
> performance is good, and easy to use - considering our team
> all are new to VoIP/PBX.

I answered elsewhere[1]. I'll just note one important point from my
reply: Asterisk and FreeSwitch are not PBXs. They are telephony servers.
One application you can build using them is a PBX. You can either
program it yourself or use an existing one (e.g.: FreePBX for Asterisk).
It's not clear from your question which of the two you need.

To me personally the real advantage of open source is not the cost. It
is the ability to tweak, and the control you retain. Right now you are
new to VoIP. But that will soon change.

[1] http://lists.pjsip.org/pipermail/pjsip_lists.pjsip.org/2017-April/019929.html

--
               Tzafrir Cohen