[asterisk-users] Multiple phones when one is unregistered

Mark Wiater mark.wiater at greybeam.com
Thu Sep 1 06:04:02 CDT 2016

On 9/1/2016 6:55 AM, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> So does the Dial command go directly to the registered device or does
> it use the extension?
Yes, that's why you provide the technology part (SIP/, IAX/, DAHDI/)
>    I was assuming that it was going to the
> extension's voice mail if it wasn't there but that's in the extension
> dialplan and I suspect that the extension is irrelevant and only the
> SIP registration matters.  That would be a good thing since many
> extensions also ring the user's cell phone and that would be annoying
> if they were at home when someone came to the office door.

If the target device has a forward configured, I believe Asterisk will
dutifully ring the forward number like it was told, but could be wrong.

Otherwise, it'll only go to voicemail, in asterisk, if you tell it to in
the dialplan. Could it be going to voicemail on a forward somewhere?

> Perhaps my problem was that one of the users was removed from sip.conf
> but their phone was still in the above plan.
In my experience, that too should not be a problem. I've got the same
dial command structure, ringing multiple SIP/extensions in one dial
command. I have some instances where the SIP entry in sip.conf no longer
exists, and some instances where the device is not registered, and
asterisk just displays a warning and continues on.
> For example, user2 leaves
> the company, is removed from sip.conf but we forgot to remove him from
> the door buzzer extension.  That might give me the behaviour that I was
> seeing.
I don't think so. At least I don't see that.

Mark