[asterisk-users] Asterisk compatibility with SMS services

Emiliano Vazquez emilianovazquez at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 15:17:36 CST 2016

i'm using gammu[1] with a 3g dongle and my own chip with my preffer
provider. It can send over 700 every our and receive to. I don't know if
you need asterisk and sms in the same way but with this tool you can make
everything. It has python tools to.

Best regards.

Emiliano.

[1] https://wammu.eu/gammu/

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 3:07 PM, Brandon B. <bbinab at gmail.com> wrote:

> Can anyone comment on using SMS in conjunction with VoIP service using one
> of these three VoIP providers: voip.ms, vitelity.com, flowroute.com? Are
> some SMS services more compatible with Asterisk (i.e. SMS over SIP works
> perfectly or not)? Is it best to use a different data channel for SMS
> messages (i.e. SMS via HTTP, SMS via XMPP) instead of Asterisk's built in SMS
> application MessageSend
> <http://www.anveo.com/faq.asp?code=sip_asterisk_sms>? In order to develop
> a web application for sending and receives SMS messages for business users,
> are there any pitfalls in using Asterisk to handle the message exchanges?
>

> On 2016-11-29 09:01 AM, Sebastian Nielsen wrote:
>
> Im using SMS successfully over VoIP. No problems at all. You however need
> to use a good codec.
>

> However, I don’t use the MessageSend application, instead I use the raw
> SMS() application.
>
> This works by the SMS centre calling my fixed landline from a specific
> number, I detect the callerid, initiate a SMS reception and then the SMS is
> in the spool files.
>
> If I want to send a outgoing SMS, I push a SMS file in the spool folder,
> then initate a call to the SMS centre.
>

> That's pretty cool, thank you for the details. You are using the builtin
> SMS application that exchanges SMS data over SIP / PSTN connections. I
> don't believe I can get service like that in Canada. Does anyone use the
> SMS applications to send and receive SMS messages in North America? Who
> provides that service?
>

> --
>
> Check out the new Asterisk community forum at: https://community.asterisk.
> org/