[asterisk-users] Asterisk compatibility with SMS services

Sebastian Nielsen sebastian at sebbe.eu
Tue Nov 29 11:01:19 CST 2016

Im using SMS successfully over VoIP. No problems at all. You however need to use a good codec.

However, I don’t use the MessageSend application, instead I use the raw SMS() application.

This works by the SMS centre calling my fixed landline from a specific number, I detect the callerid, initiate a SMS reception and then the SMS is in the spool files.

If I want to send a outgoing SMS, I push a SMS file in the spool folder, then initate a call to the SMS centre.

Ergo, incoming is like this (as early as possible in the dialplan):

exten => s,[any],GotoIf($[${CALLERID(num)} = 07409400000]?recvsms,s,1)

(where 07409400000 is your SMS centre number)

Then at recvsms:

[recvsms]

exten => s,1,SMS(in-${clid},a)

exten => s,2,System(/usr/sbin/mailbot sms ${clid})

exten => s,3,Hangup()

(where /usr/sbin/mailbot is a script that reads /var/spool/asterisk/mtrx folder, and clid is a variable containing a random number)

Outgoing is like this:

Place a file named [RandomA].[RandomB] into /var/spool/asterisk/motx with the following content:

da=[number you want to send to]

ud=[text you want to send, only GSM alphabet supported, composite messages NOT supported]

Then create the following file into /var/spool/asterisk/tmp:

Channel: SIP/0740940000 at YOUROPERATOR

Callerid: "[YOURNUM]" <[YOURNUM]>

Application: SMS

Data: [RandomA]

(where 0740940000 is your SMS center)

Move the file from tmp into /var/spool/asterisk/outgoing/ and the SMS will be sent.