[asterisk-users] iowait issues on CentOS 7

Victor Villarreal mefhigoseth at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 10:48:05 CST 2016

Hi Luca,

IO delay maybe come from Hard Disk lattency. You can exec an "lsof "
command to view what file asterisk proccess hold down when load spike.

If there are some call recording, you can configure Asterisk to make it in
a temp location, a RAM Disk in Linux.

If you make hard usage of the AstDB file, you can copy it to RAM too, to
avoid read/write to the disk.

Please, read this post about lsof:
http://0xfe.blogspot.com.ar/2006/03/troubleshooting-unix-systems-with-lsof.html

You can view something weird in Asterisk logs when high load ? Maybe enable
debug ?

You can install and setup "atop". Then you can review the system status
after the load peak and drill down, just to the problem.

Finally, for troubleshooting IO Wait on a Linux system, you can view this
post: http://bencane.com/2012/08/06/troubleshooting-high-io-wait-in-linux/

Cheers

> Hello!
> One of our customers has  an issue where our load average on two of the
> boxes spikes on peak loads. What I got from testing is consistent with what
> they were reporting: on CentOS 7, the load spikes in hockey stick fashion,
> from 40-50% up to 200%, with very high iowait values.
> On CentOS 6, load increases and decreases linearly and the machine never
> slows down.
>
> Asterisk version is 1.8.22.0, which is if course quite old (but it is what
> is installed).
> The CentOS 6 box actually has less RAM (8 Gb vs. 16 Gb), but other than
> that they are exactly identical in hardware configuration.
>
> I checked the usual culprits, but to no avail. Is this a known issue?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Luca
>
> --
>
> Check out the new Asterisk community forum at: https://community.asterisk.