[asterisk-users] RS485 Audio device

Tim S tim.strommen at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 16:31:37 CDT 2016

Before walking down this path, take a moment to think critically: How far
away is the AoR from the attendant station?  Does there need to be local
rescue/fire service access to the communications?  How reliable does the
link need to be?  Will power always be available when the AoR pone is
required to function?

I did a 27mA powered intercom system at a chemical plant a bit over decade
ago, the old analog circuits are dead simple - just a battery (or a double
battery-backed power supply in my case), a current regulator and an audio
bypass cap to make a simple audio loop.

If that's too much hardware, there are still sound-powered phones produced
- very common in mining and maritime.  An SIP phone can be wired into a
sound powered phone circuit, where the preferred usage would be talking via
SIP phone, but if all powered failed the sound-powered devices on the line
would still make a complete audio circuit.

Just a thought...

-Tim