[asterisk-users] Using Asterisk to play Icecast streams

John Kiniston johnkiniston at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 15:54:51 CDT 2016

Could you setup a local instance of Icecast and point your PBX to it?

It's been years since I did any streaming but I recall my icecast relay
would only consume bandwith when it had listeners connected to it.

Then you wouldn't have to worry about how many people were listening to a
single channel as it'd only use the one incoming stream to icecast.

On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 1:37 PM, Dovid Bender <dovid at telecurve.com> wrote:

> Steve,
>
> These are live streams of events so I can't simply rip the audio. As I
> mentioned at the end of my email putting in a sleep did help a bit however
> there are only so many streams Asterisk will grab nicely at once with out
> spiking the CPU. I also tinkered a bit with real time here is what I found:
> 1) If we have cachertclasses=no then Asterisk will only pull the stream if
> some one is listening to that particular class. the upside of this is that
> we only pull a stream if we need it. The down side is if say there are four
> people listening to StreamX then we have four separate connections to
> StreamX.
> 2) If we have cachertclasses=yes set then Asterisk then we have the
> opposite of #1. The stream will be pulled if some one starts listening to
> it. If anyone hangs up then we still keep pulling the stream so over time
> if every stream is touched then we will over load the CPU.
>
> I guess I am trying to find a match between the two. Only pull the stream
> if some one is invoking MOH for this moh class and if there is no one else
> on hold to kill it. If this is not available yet we are willing to pay for
> a patch.
>

> On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 4:03 PM, Steve Edwards <asterisk.org at sedwards.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 16 Mar 2016, Dovid Bender wrote:
>>
>> 1) I want to be able to add a few hundred streams per box. Not all
>>> streams are being listed to at once. Once you add a MOH class to
>>> musiconhold.conf it stays up forever (which I can understand why). When
>>> trying realtime madplay wont be loaded until it's called in the dial plan.
>>> After that it is in Asterisk until I restart asterisk. If we have 20-30
>>> streams it's OK but once that grows it can bog down the machine.
>>>

>> 2) I found that it for some reason the stream returns a 404 (it goes off
>>> line etc.) then 10-15% of one core gets locked up until the stream comes
>>> back online. The issue is that if a few  streams have an issue then I am
>>> locking up one care.
>>>

>> For these and other reasons, I think streaming is dumb (in most cases).
>>
>> I have a client that wanted to allow his customers to enter URLs for
>> their moh. Bad idea. They kept entering invalid URLs which would cause bits
>> to crash. Further, we started getting complaints from URL providers as to
>> why we were streaming 24x7 and from our colo about the bandwidth.
>>
>> My solution* (which the customers either haven't figured out yet or don't
>> mind) was:
>>
>> 1) Customers submit URLs to my client.
>>
>> 2) Once entered into the system, the customer can select the 'station'
>> from a web page.
>>
>> 3) I record 24 hours of the stream and then use sox to break into
>> separate files on the silence between songs.
>>
>> 4) I create a moh class that random plays the files.
>>
>> *) My client approved the solution which may be of questionable legality
>> depending on the stream.

> [...]

a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts,
build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders,
cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure,
program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.
---Heinlein