[asterisk-users] Using Asterisk to play Icecast streams

Dovid Bender dovid at telecurve.com
Wed Mar 16 15:37:36 CDT 2016

Steve,

These are live streams of events so I can't simply rip the audio. As I
mentioned at the end of my email putting in a sleep did help a bit however
there are only so many streams Asterisk will grab nicely at once with out
spiking the CPU. I also tinkered a bit with real time here is what I found:
1) If we have cachertclasses=no then Asterisk will only pull the stream if
some one is listening to that particular class. the upside of this is that
we only pull a stream if we need it. The down side is if say there are four
people listening to StreamX then we have four separate connections to
StreamX.
2) If we have cachertclasses=yes set then Asterisk then we have the
opposite of #1. The stream will be pulled if some one starts listening to
it. If anyone hangs up then we still keep pulling the stream so over time
if every stream is touched then we will over load the CPU.

I guess I am trying to find a match between the two. Only pull the stream
if some one is invoking MOH for this moh class and if there is no one else
on hold to kill it. If this is not available yet we are willing to pay for
a patch.