[asterisk-users] Pet project: one step Asterisk compile on Centos 7

Lenz Emilitri lenz.loway at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 11:22:05 CDT 2016

> 1. Asterisk basically has such a script inside.

It is - as you say - inside. This is outside and does the download for you.

> 2. Asterisk has an RPM package. An RPM package is exactly a reproducible
> build (listing dependecies, and such).

It's true. They are very interesting, especially if you are a
historian of software.
http://packages.asterisk.org/centos/

If you need something less, say, "vintage", you may need to compile it yourself.

> 3. You are reinventing RPM. Badly. Do you people really want to run:
>    - As root
>    - A huge blob nobody can inspect
>    - that is executable, and hence has tons of places to add nice hooks
>      in?
>
> Learn how to use rpmbuild.

I personally happen to have shipped RPMs for about 10 years now. But
building a RPM might be overkill if you are deploying a test,
throwaway box, or just once for a Docker image. Of course I would not
use this as an RPM substitute, and if I were to use something like
this I'd fork it or at least read it (it is maybe 20 lines). YMMV.

And IIRC there is more places to ship "nice hooks" into a binary you
ship as an RPM than in a  shell script that does what you would
manually from the terminal!

l.

--
Loway - home of QueueMetrics - http://queuemetrics.com