[asterisk-users] PJSIP Stun/ICE

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Wed Jan 27 12:10:53 CST 2016

JC> I disagree that it makes it worthless for a large number of
JC> users. It's only within the last few days that a few people have run
JC> into this particular issue where they have a public IP address that is
JC> changing a lot and PJSIP does not support changing it without a
JC> restart. If it were a huge sweeping issue we'd be seeing it more
JC> often. If it continues to show up a community member or us (heck maybe
JC> even myself in my spare time) may look into implementing it.

It is only in the last few days that this discussion occurred.  This is
not the first mention of problems with using pjsip on dynamic ips.

Most affected users are probably still using chan_sip.  Or haven't even
upgraded to 13 yet.

I gave up switching my edge asterisk to pjsip at least twice because I
couldn't figure out how to configure it properly for a dynamic ip.  And
I sent a note to one of the lists at least on the 2nd attempt.

That install doesn't need nat for sip/rtp since it runs on the router,
but it does need to handle dynamic ip.

In short, this breaks sip for nearly everyone using asterisk at home and
even a lot of businesses.

It may not break it every day, but it is enough to drive a lot of people
away from asterisk once they learn of it.

JC> The support level for chan_sip has already been changed and was
JC> announced long ago.

had this issue been noted in that announce you'd have received -- I
expect -- quite a few complaints.

This flies in the face of all of the (very welcome) work which went into
supporting reload rather than restart.

Getting pjsip to support changes on a reload would be an acceptable
first step.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos at jhcloos.com>         OpenPGP: 0x997A9F17ED7DAEA6