[asterisk-users] res_odbc crashes asterisk

Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Thu Feb 11 12:36:30 CST 2016

Carlos Chavez wrote:
> I use realtime on my asterisk installation. I have always used mysql for
> my realtime connection but as mysql seems to be on the "soon to be
> deprecated" list of asterisk features I am trying to move to ODBC (still
> using MariaDB/Mysql on backend). I find ODBC support in Asterisk very
> unstable. Just today my asterisk server (a test server and a production
> server) has crashed often or simply hangs because it says ODBC is
> disconnected. I can use the isql tool to query my database without any
> interruptions.

Just as a clarification on the res_config_mysql status. It's been
extended support for quite awhile, meaning issues and such are taken
care of by the community and not Digium. It hasn't been deprecated and
won't be removed, we're just not directly fixing issues in it.

> Is anyone using res_odbc for realtime in Asterisk 13? Both my test
> server and production server are CentOS 7.2 and I followed the procedure
> set by the Asterisk Wiki:
> https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Setting+up+PJSIP+Realtime

<snip>

ODBC is made up of a few parts: res_odbc, the main ODBC library, and the
connector. I know of Postgresql being heavily used and it has not seen
these problems you appear to be having with MySQL. I'm not saying you
need to switch but the problem seems to be with the ODBC MySQL connector
itself, so feedback from people using that combination would be more
valuable to you than everyone using ODBC. It would also be where you
should focus your attention.

Cheers,

--
Joshua Colp