[asterisk-users] Asterisk compatibility with SMS services

A J Stiles asterisk_list at earthshod.co.uk
Thu Dec 1 10:47:02 CST 2016

On Wednesday 30 Nov 2016, Emiliano Vazquez wrote:
> i'm using gammu[1] with a 3g dongle and my own chip with my preffer
> provider. It can send over 700 every our and receive to. I don't know if
> you need asterisk and sms in the same way but with this tool you can make
> everything. It has python tools to.
> [1] https://wammu.eu/gammu/

I've used that, with an old pre-smartphone mobile as a GSM modem.  It has the
usual GUI frontend and scriptable backend.  But it is separate from Asterisk.

I have also used the OpenVox G400P/E in the past, which integrates beautifully
with Asterisk  (incoming text messages, successfully sent outgoing messages
and failed sent outgoing messages trigger extensions in the dialplan);  but
this card has been "no longer recommended for new designs" for some time now
(chan_extra won't even build against recent kernel or Asterisk versions).

Be aware that if you send too many text messages in too short a timespan, your
telco might deem that to be in excess of their "fair use policy" -- although
the exact dividing line between fair and unfair use seems to be a jealously-
guarded secret.  The only way to find out for sure is to cross it .....

--
AJS

Note:  Originating address only accepts e-mail from list!  If replying off-
list, change address to asterisk1list at earthshod dot co dot uk .