[asterisk-users] Dial and start music on hold after timeout

Matthew Jordan mjordan at digium.com
Thu Aug 25 16:15:14 CDT 2016

On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 6:02 AM, Israel Gottlieb <isrlgb at gmail.com> wrote:
> Are you sending progress?
>

> בתאריך 24 באוג׳ 2016 13:40,‏ "Saint Michael" <venefax at gmail.com> כתב:
>>
>> I have the same exact issue. I cannot push any sounds or even Playtones to
>> the caller, unless the channel is answered, which is not possible for
>> billing reasons.
>> I am also using the Local channel & Dial(PJSIP/...).
>> I think this is a bug in Asterisk 13. The Dial function has not answered
>> yet, so the Local channel should be able to play anything to the caller,
>> without answering, in parallel with Dial.
>> Should I open a JIRA ticket?

This behavior is exactly the same as it has always been. As Richard
mentioned in your other thread, there is no bug here [1]. You have
multiple options:

(1) Indicating Ringing in the dialplan. Depending on your
configuration, Asterisk will generate a 180 and pass it back to the
caller, causing them to ring or it will generate a 183 and play a
ringing tone back to the caller itself.

(2) Indicate Progress in the dialplan. This will send back a 183 to
the caller and, if possible, will send sound from Asterisk to the
caller. You then have multiple options here:
(2a) If Asterisk has the ability to perform early bridging with an
outbound channel, it will. If not, it won't - and it won't mix the
early media from multiple outbound channels.
(2b) You can play media back yourself using MoH or one of the other
sound generation applications.

(3) Wait for one of your outbound channels to pass a 180 back, and
allow that to cause the inbound channel to ring.

[1] http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2016-August/289781.html

--
Matthew Jordan
Digium, Inc. | CTO