[asterisk-users] Removing mailbox and password prompt for voicemail

Nabeel nabeelshikder at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 08:01:27 CDT 2016

On 4 August 2016 at 13:18, D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy at vex.net> wrote:

> Let's get this straight.  You call yourself from any phone in the world
> and press '*' while listening to the message, you wind up in your own
> mailbox and you believe that means that you don't need a password?  Do
> you think that the phone system somehow knows that it is you calling
> and not one of the other 7.4 billion people on the planet.  The
> password is how it knows.

You seem to misunderstand even after I have explained.  I don't need a
password when calling my mailbox from my own registered phone (not calling
from any other phone). I don't need to call my mailbox from other phones on
the planet, so I don't need a password.  Consider the voicemail you get
from your mobile network on your mobile phone. You don't access it from any
phone in the world; you only access it from the mobile phone which has your
SIM, and you probably don't enter a password for it.

> This seems to conflict with the first paragraph.  Are you being asked
> for the mailbox number or the password?  In a properly set up system,
> entering '*' during the message should put you into the callee's
> mailbox and ask for a password.  Calling '*98' from your own phone, if
> the extension I originally showed you exists, should put you directly
> into your own mailbox without asking for a password.

The password is only asked if a password has been set. A password is also
asked if any number is entered after the 'mailbox' prompt.

Nabeel