[asterisk-users] Removing mailbox and password prompt for voicemail

D'Arcy J.M. Cain darcy at Vex.Net
Thu Aug 4 07:18:04 CDT 2016

On Thu, 4 Aug 2016 09:12:53 +0100
Nabeel <nabeelshikder at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 30 July 2016 at 19:32, D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy at vex.net> wrote:
> > Not playing the prompt changes nothing.  If someone presses '*'
> > while listening to your answer message then they are in your
> > mailbox.  You better have a password that they need to enter to
> > continue.
>
> I have now tested the 'Unavailable' message by pressing "*" while
> listening to the recorded message. I can confirm that this does NOT
> directly enter to the called number's mailbox. It actually enter's
> the registered device's/caller's own mailbox. Therefore, this does
> not necessitate setting a password.

Let's get this straight.  You call yourself from any phone in the world
and press '*' while listening to the message, you wind up in your own
mailbox and you believe that means that you don't need a password?  Do
you think that the phone system somehow knows that it is you calling
and not one of the other 7.4 billion people on the planet.  The
password is how it knows.

> The problem is that the 'mailbox' prompt allows a way for accessing
> any other mailbox, which is not necessary in my case. If anyone knows
> a way to remove this 'mailbox' prompt, please let me know.

This seems to conflict with the first paragraph.  Are you being asked
for the mailbox number or the password?  In a properly set up system,
entering '*' during the message should put you into the callee's
mailbox and ask for a password.  Calling '*98' from your own phone, if
the extension I originally showed you exists, should put you directly
into your own mailbox without asking for a password.

I think that it is well past the time to tell us what your setup is and
exactly what you are trying to accomplish.  I think that you may be
making the common error of telling us your solution (remove mailbox
prompt) rather than your actual problem.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain
System Administrator, Vex.Net