[asterisk-users] Change Asterisk MulticastRTP codec

Matthew Murphy mrmdev at outlook.com
Wed Sep 30 12:51:38 CDT 2015

Greetings everyone,
I was wondering if there was a way to change the codec that Asterisk uses when streaming via MulticastRTP. Or perhaps a way to transcode the multicast stream.
In the CLI, when I have a multicast stream in progress, I am typing 'core show channel MulticastRTP/0x7f7........' to get lots of helpful information.
I have noticed that when I do a MULTICAST page and send data from MP3Player, I get no sound on my speakers and get the following from 'core show channel PJSIP/xxx':
NativeFormats: (slin)WriteFormat: slinReadFormat: slinWriteTranscode: No ReadTranscode: No
I have noticed that when I do a UNICAST page and send data from MP3Player, everything works flawlessly and I get the following from 'core show channel MulticastRTP':
NativeFormats: (ulaw)WriteFormat: slinReadFormat: slinWriteTranscode: Yes (slin at 8000)->(ulaw at 8000)ReadTranscode: Yes (ulaw at 8000)->(slin at 8000)

The only thing that is changing is the following line in my extensions.conf file:
; For Multicast Pagingsame => n(next),Page(MulticastRTP/basic/239.1.1.2:6061,q)
; For Unicast Pagingsame => n(next),Page(PJSIP/107&PJSIP/108,ib(pjsip-auto-answer-header^addheader^1)|p})

Is there any way to get the MP3Player stream to transcode (as it does on the UNICAST stream) when I try to MULTICAST?
Thanks for the help,
--Matt