[asterisk-users] Which router/firewall would you use for a virtual-PBX Asterisk installation?

Ernie Dunbar maillist at lightspeed.ca
Mon Nov 23 13:16:56 CST 2015

Oh, don't worry about us going cheap on security. We use A2Billing
(along with some Fail2Ban configuration for bad logins) to limit the
number and cost of calls that can go out through a compromised SIP
account, so that when, not *if*,  a customer's SIP account gets
compromised, the attacker gets cut off at the knees before they can even
get out the door. We've even added bogus connection charges on
international calls that get removed before we bill our customers, to
speed up the process and reduce our losses even further. Our customers
are even happy that these billing limits are in place.

No, this is all about playing nice with our load balancing software and
protecting databases and backend servers that have no business being
available to the public. But mostly it's about the load balancer
(IPTables on said servers can take care of "visible to the public). I
just want to make sure that the router we use will play nice with
Asterisk, since we've already seen network hardware that looks good on
paper, but fails miserably in practice. In fact, we see it so often with
individual customers' crap routers causing voice quality issues, that by
default we don't trust simple math.

So here I am, asking everyone what router they use, and whether you're
happy with the results when there's 100 simultaneous SIP calls in
progress. I want to know what happens when the rubber hits the road.