[asterisk-users] Which router/firewall would you use for a virtual-PBX Asterisk installation?

Telium Technical Support support at telium.ca
Fri Nov 20 16:22:28 CST 2015

Well router and firewall are very different...it depends on what you are
trying to accomplish.

If you are trying to secure an Asterisk-based call center, get a real
security product.  Look here for details:
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+security

This covers firewall, Asterisk lock-down, and Asterisk specific security.
The average break-in/fraud cost is $25,000 per day.  (watch the Astricon
videos for more details).  So going cheap on security isn't a smart move for
a commercial installation.

If you just want a router/switch, figure out the simultaneous call capacity
x codec demands in bps, and there is your backplane switching speed
requirements.  Even with 100 simultaneous calls at g711, a lower end Cisco
(3xx) router/switch will have no problem.

-M-