[asterisk-users] Asterisk as "Proxy" and more device for a number

Luca Bertoncello lucabert at lucabert.de
Thu May 28 00:34:46 CDT 2015

Kevin Larsen <kevin.larsen at pioneerballoon.com> schrieb:

Hi Kevin!

> Glad you have it working. You should only need one Asterisk server to do
> what you want unless you just want to have one with the GUI and one for
> testing purposes. I would recommend starting with something newer than
> Ubuntu 10.04 as it is pretty much at its end of life. 14.04 would be a
> better choice at this point.

Please NOT! I've seen the 14.04 and I DON'T want to have this distribution on
my PC...
Too many problems...
Maybe the 10.04 is old, but it works... :)

> Regardless of how you end up directing your incoming calls, that KE1020A
> phone is pretty old and it might be worthwhile to see about upgrading it
> to something newer. The Thomson ST2022 you have does seem to have the
> capability to have two lines on it. Haven't used one before, so hard to
> say how good it handles that. Whatever you do, though, having two
> identical phones will be helpful to you (and your wife) as you won't have
> to try to remember how each phone works and troubleshooting problems is
> easier if you can look at a phone that is working of the same model.

Maybe the phones are old, but I don't want to pay more money for a change I
didn't want (changing to VoIP with no ISDN anymore).
If I get them working with Asterisk on my OpenWRT-Switch, it's enough..

> There are a couple of ways you can approach directing your calls to the
> right outgoing provider. One would be to have two separate lines on your
> phone and just pick which one you want to use that will direct all calls
> to the right provider. If your calls follow a pattern (i.e. calls to this
> country go to this provider and calls to that country to to the other
> provider), you can have Asterisk recognize the pattern and automatically
> direct the calls for you. This is nice as others won't have to remember
> which line to use.

What I really need is that the phones make call using the "right" account by
Deutsche Telekom, so that my phone works using my account and the phone of my
wife (another number) using her account.

> Asterisk has built in forwarding capabilities by dialing the right feature
> code during a call to initiate a forward to another extension. Many phones
> also have this feature built in. I use Polycom phones and can transfer
> calls just by hitting the transfer button and dialing who I want to
> transfer to.

I'll see if it is possible by me...

> I have used the HylaFax/IAXModem solution with a client and it worked
> fairly well. I will warn you that faxes over VoIP connections are
> inherently worse than over a regular phone line. They can be made to be
> almost as good or they can just be horrible, but either way, faxing is no
> fun, especially considering that the problems can be caused before the fax
> ever reaches your system. Hopefully your provider supports T.38 properly,
> in which case faxing will be much nicer.

I know, but since I don't had a choice, I must try...
Hopefully, it works...

Regards
Luca Bertoncello
(lucabert at lucabert.de)