[asterisk-users] AWS/EC2 server selection

Jeff LaCoursiere jeff at jeff.net
Sun Mar 8 10:11:43 CDT 2015

Amazon instances are shared resources.  I wouldn't want to count on
timing or disk throughput, and you can't just ask them to do "ssd" - its
a virtual machine!  500 simultaneous recordings is a hefty load, and I
would want to know that the underlying hardware is dedicated to the task.

Sure you see lots of posts about hosting asterisk and/or freeswitch on
EC2.  I have done it myself and even have some clients doing it now *for
proof of concept*.   I've never heard of anyone using it for the kind of
load you are talking about.  I'm assuming with such a giant load you are
making a decent profit. Buy some hefty hardware and do the architecture
properly.  You can rent half a rack at lots of high end datacenters for
less than $1000/month.