[asterisk-users] New Asterisk build

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Sat Mar 7 07:03:49 CST 2015

On Fri, Mar 06, 2015 at 11:33:55AM -0800, Ira wrote:
>   Hello Asterisk,
>
>   Back in 2009 I built a small Intel Atom based computer running
>   Centos 5 for my asterisk system. 5 phones, 2 people 1 POTs
>   line and six or so SIP numbers. So basically no load. I'm
>   feeling like it's time to build another machine. It's probably
>   silly, but it's been six years and I can't upgrade the OS
>   which is falling behind. I'd likely just put it on a Raspberry
>   Pi or something like that, but I need the one POTS line and
>   all I have for that at the moment is a Digium card for a PCI
>   slot.
>
>   Are there any current thoughts on this?

Very few ARM boards have anything close to PCI.

Some of them:

* nitrogen6x - A good board, well supported[1] but on the expensive
  range (~250$ (?)). Has a PCI-express slot.
* Mira-box - has an internal mini-PCI slot. Not sure if it's good for
  you. Cheaper than the above, but still 150$ or so.

If you look for a low-power ARM board, would you consider giving up the
requirement of a PCI slot?

Also note that many ARM boards don't have SATA. If you want to write to
SD or to USB, please test performance of writing to see that Asterisk
works well with it. Though quite a few (even of the cheaper ones) have
SATA.

[1] Raspbian uses those boards for their build servers.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com