[asterisk-users] New Asterisk build

Bryant Zimmerman BryantZ at zktech.com
Fri Mar 6 17:07:22 CST 2015

Iran

 For the kind of loads and low cost you are talking with 2 FXO, 2FXS and
SIP the Grandstream UMC6102 is low power feature rich and easy to maintain.
Check it out -
http://www.grandstream.com/index.php/products/ip-voice-telephony/ip-pbx-solu
tions/ucm61xx
 If you do choose to use the UMC61xx the grandstream phones auto-provision
with it well, but it works with any complaint SIP phone.

 If you do want to go with an asterisk home brew. You could use a
Grandstream GXW4104 (4 FXO) for your POTS line. It is a FXO gateway that
would register as a SIP endpoint. (You could look at the HT503 which has
one FXO port, but I find them to be less reliable then the GXW4104). The
nice thing about using gateways is there are no drivers to load on your
asterisk build as the gateway is just a SIP endpoint.

 I have built asterisk test systems on raspberry pi Rev B and have not been
happy with their performance even in light loads. The new version 2 B looks
like it might be better, In ether case the Gateways would be a good way to
go to connect your lines. Watch your SD card speeds slow cards really gave
me a lot of issues. Especially when you had someone leaving a voicemail and
someone else was trying to listing to an IVR prompt, multiple users reading
and writing at the same time just really have not worked well. We hooked up
a SSD via USB and put our prompts and voicemail on it and it was a bit
better still limited to USB2 speeds, but that increased the cost.

 The UMC6102 is the best value as buy the time you purchase a gateway,
system and spend time loading it is hard to beat the price point and you
can get support on it from Grandstream or a reseller.

 (To be open I am a Grandstream reseller, I am offering these recommending
as they are good options. There are several other low cost asterisk like
PBX's out there as well, Allo and several others, but I know the GS options
work)

 Good Luck and I hope this info helps.

 Thanks

Bryant Zimmerman (Grand Dial Communications, a ZK Tech Inc.)

 P.S. Glen's post also offers some good points as well.