[asterisk-users] Run script action when Dahdi phone goes off-hook?

A J Stiles asterisk_list at earthshod.co.uk
Mon Jun 22 03:38:21 CDT 2015

On Friday 19 Jun 2015, asterisk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Long story short - I have an ancient Britsh Telecom phone attached to my
> Asterisk PBX via Dahdi. It works beautifully, receiving calls, and the
> call quality is excellent. However, dialling out is impossible, as
> Asterisk consistently mis-reads the number of pulses the dial sends (it
> could be a squiffy dial, I'm not sure). Not to mention the fact that, in
> today's modern "want it now" age, waiting up to 3 seconds between digits
> whilst the rotary dial does its thing gets old very quickly...

I have a GPO 746 working beautifully on my home machine, with one of the cheap
TDM410P clones you can buy from eBay  (it's hardly a production environment).
Your problem most likely is indeed the dial mechanism  (you could prove it by
seeing how your card behaves with a push-button, pulse-dialling phone).

These dials are built to industrial standards.  They respond well to field-
stripping and re-lubrication, and there are guides on the Internet explaining
how to do this  (including the old GPO documentation).

My own solution to the slow dialling issue was just to put some entries with
short extension numbers in the relevant context of my extensions.conf linked
to my most frequently-called destinations; so, for example, I can call my
parents by dialling their old 4-digit number from back in the clicky-clicky
exchange days.

> Can I run a script (either in extensions.conf, or ael, or whatever) when
> that is detected? If so, I will create a small app which allows me to
> type a telephone number on my computer, I can then lift the phone & the
> script will go find the number I typed, and dial it for me.

You can; but personally, I'd just use a CGI script to generate a call file.
Tthe script does its thing, and my phone rings; then when I answer it, the
other person's phone starts ringing and I hear ringing-out tones.

Kontact  (and probably other PIM software)  can even run a command when you
click onto a phone number, and embed the clicked-on number into the command;
so I used this facility to do a wget on my make_call.cgi script.

--
AJS

Note:  Originating address only accepts e-mail from list!  If replying off-
list, change address to asterisk1list at earthshod dot co dot uk .