[asterisk-users] small pbx for the office [it was: small homebrew pbx]

Lukasz Sokol el.es.cr at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 04:45:20 CDT 2015

On 16/06/15 08:52, lucio at sulweb.org wrote:
> Steve Edwards wrote:
>> 0) I hope you mean you want to run Asterisk at home instead of
>> 'Asterisk at Home.' A at H was an ancient distribution from around 2005.
>
> Yes of course I didn't mean an ancient distro from 2005.
>

>> 1) Rent a DID (a 'PSTN number') from a reputable SIP provider. This
>> eliminates the need for a PCI/USB interface and you won't disrupt your
>> 'business' while you figure out how to configure and test your
>> Asterisk server.
>
> That's not possible in many areas here in Italy, including the place
> where I live. The national Telco (Telecom Italia) owns the last mile
> almost everyehere and other companies do not invest money to bring
> their cables outside large cities. Telecom Italia does not offer data
> only plans to private customers in rural areas.
>
>> 2) Ditch the 'room warmer' and find something really small and cheap
>> to run. I live in San Diego and we pay $0.32 per kWh. I'd guess
>> running your rig would cost me $50.00 to $100.00 per month just in
>> electricity
>
> My rig is already running a bunch of other things and it must stay
> powered for other reasons, so that's not an issue. However, your
> suggestions made me consider your solution not for me, but for a
> friend who is moving his office to a new place, hence the new subject
> of this message. For him, the requisites would be quite similar to
> what I need at home, except:
> 1. the whole thing becomes mission critical, he obviously can't
> accept random hangups of the telephony system at work
> 2. the calls in a day raise to about 50, but he still has only one
> POTS line with two numbers, one for voice and one for fax (ehm, yes,
> in 2015 in Italy someone still uses the fax...). However the faxes
> are rare and can be handled by the traditional fax machine he already
> owns.
> 3. I think he could actually move everything to SIP only, but I need
> to double check that with him to be sure, so I assume a "no" here for
> the time being
> 4. He already has the server, even more powerful than mine (some dual
> Xeon with 64GB of RAM and a bunch of Terabyes of RAID storage...)
> 5. there are 20 phones in his office, instead of the 4 phones at my
> home, but the model is the same (they all ring on incoming calls and
> the 1st off hook takes the call, while the others can still make
> internal calls)
>
> Now the question is: given the modified requirements above, is the linksys spa3102 a reasonable solution?

I realize this might not go down well with the mailing list/newsgroup here ;)

but have you considered a web-managed config-builder such as FreePBX?
Instead of building your dialplan from scratch ?

(I have 5 SIP trunks, 5-7 internal numbers, 1 queue (without IVR), 2 time conditions
 and 10-15 SIP devices, all handled fine with stable FreePBX v12 / Asterisk 11.x,
 on a ~2006 32-bit Celeron 2.6GHz with 1GB RAM and 150GB of RAID, queuing/handling/recording
4 concurrent incoming SIP calls without problems;
[that's ONLY because I've only got that many queue members, not b/c it couldn't handle more]
[and I don't run IVR because I've seen no need for it either])

(DISCLAIMER : I am in no way affiliated with FreePBX team or Sangoma,
 otherwise than just running one instance of FreePBX)

el es