[asterisk-users] small pbx for the office [it was: small homebrew pbx]

lucio at sulweb.org lucio at sulweb.org
Tue Jun 16 02:52:13 CDT 2015

Steve Edwards wrote:
> 0) I hope you mean you want to run Asterisk at home instead of
> 'Asterisk at Home.' A at H was an ancient distribution from around 2005.

Yes of course I didn't mean an ancient distro from 2005.

> 1) Rent a DID (a 'PSTN number') from a reputable SIP provider. This
> eliminates the need for a PCI/USB interface and you won't disrupt your
> 'business' while you figure out how to configure and test your
> Asterisk server.

That's not possible in many areas here in Italy, including the place
where I live. The national Telco (Telecom Italia) owns the last mile
almost everyehere and other companies do not invest money to bring their
cables outside large cities. Telecom Italia does not offer data only
plans to private customers in rural areas.

> 2) Ditch the 'room warmer' and find something really small and cheap
> to run. I live in San Diego and we pay $0.32 per kWh. I'd guess
> running your rig would cost me $50.00 to $100.00 per month just in
> electricity

My rig is already running a bunch of other things and it must stay
powered for other reasons, so that's not an issue.
However, your suggestions made me consider your solution not for me, but
for a friend who is moving his office to a new place, hence the new
subject of this message. For him, the requisites would be quite similar
to what I need at home, except:

1. the whole thing becomes mission critical, he obviously can't accept
random hangups of the telephony system at work
2. the calls in a day raise to about 50, but he still has only one POTS
line with two numbers, one for voice and one for fax (ehm, yes, in 2015
in Italy someone still uses the fax...). However the faxes are rare and
can be handled by the traditional fax machine he already owns.
3. I think he could actually move everything to SIP only, but I need to
double check that with him to be sure, so I assume a "no" here for the
time being
4. He already has the server, even more powerful than mine (some dual
Xeon with 64GB of RAM and a bunch of Terabyes of RAID storage...)
5. there are 20 phones in his office, instead of the 4 phones at my
home, but the model is the same (they all ring on incoming calls and the
1st off hook takes the call, while the others can still make internal
calls)

Now the question is: given the modified requirements above, is the
linksys spa3102 a reasonable solution?