[asterisk-users] Allowing calls - maybe I'm just stupid...

Guido Falsi mad at madpilot.net
Thu Jun 11 03:15:56 CDT 2015

On 06/11/15 09:56, Luca Bertoncello wrote:
> Zitat von A J Stiles <asterisk_list at earthshod.co.uk>:
>
>> On Thursday 11 Jun 2015, Luca Bertoncello wrote:
>>> Now my problem is to check in my dialplan if the peer, that originate
>>> the call, is reachable, and if not, to give an error...
>>>
>>> Is there any function to know if the peer is reachable?
>>
>> The peer that *originated* the call *must* be reachable, by definition
>
> I can originate a call even if my peer is "UNREACHABLE" (sip show peers
> say UNREACHABLE)...
>
> But I solved using the function EXTENDED_STATE...

I think the confusion here stands in the fact that registrations are for
receiving calls, a peer registers to tell asterisk "Hey, here is where
to find me in case you need to ring me".

When the same peer wants to make a call it will send an invite to
asterisk with the details for that call AND the authentication, it's
completely decoupled from registration, it just uses the same credential
but authenticates each time.

Registration then isn't like logging in to a service, or at least, it's
like that but just for getting calls, to make a call your phone has to
authenticate each time he sends an invite. That's why it works without
being registered.

So, trying to bind authentication to originate calls to registrations is
conceptually wrong in the SIP world. Maybe you can do that but that's
not the way the protocols have been engineered to work.

--
Guido Falsi <mad at madpilot.net>