[asterisk-users] How to invoke a binary file from the dial plan?

Kevin Larsen kevin.larsen at pioneerballoon.com
Tue Jun 2 15:31:23 CDT 2015

> Hi everyone.
>
> I'm new with Asterisk and I have to create a dial plan that will
> invoke a binary code. That is, asterisk will execute a program in
> the same machine. How to do it?
>
> Let me explain what I have to do:
>
> In the project that I am currently working, there is smartphones,
> SIP servers and doors/gates to be unlocked remotely. When the user
> executes an application on his/her phone, it will presents a button
> to unlock a remote gate or door.
> By  pressing such button, the application will send a SIP INVITE to
> the SIP server (Asterisk). In this moment, a existing dial plan
> should call an executable hosted in the current machine. In this
> case I need to know how to program my extensions.conf to let
> Asterisk invoke another software to me.
> The another software is the one responsible for unlocking a gate or
door.

> So, how to codify my extensions.conf in order to make Asterisk
> invoke another software?
> Is another better way (idea) to implement my project using Asterisk
> and SIP? If so, comment, please!
>
> Any hint will be very helpful!

Look into the System() dialplan application. It will execute a command on
the system for you. Be aware that it will execute it as the user your
Asterisk instance is running as, so permissions can sometimes be a bit
finicky to get correct. I do something similar to pop my gate open. It is
using nc to make a connection to the device, but same general idea as what
you are doing.