[asterisk-users] Asterisk removes a charachter from sip peer name

Paddy Grice paddy at wizaner.com
Mon Jan 5 07:15:17 CST 2015

From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Olli Heiskanen
Sent: 03 January 2015 08:04
To: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion
Subject: [asterisk-users] Asterisk removes a charachter from sip peer name

Hello all,

Just wondering on a behavior I noticed while testing with realtime sip peers
with names like 111.222 at mydomain.com. Using Kamailio as outbound proxy, it
sends Asterisk a sip message where To header value is
<sip:111.222 at mydomain.com <mailto:sip%3A111.222 at mydomain.com> > and From
header has value "username" <sip:111.333 at mydomain.com
<mailto:sip%3A111.333 at mydomain.com> ;transport=UDP>;tag=fc609171. When
Asterisk sends out the sip message, the To header is as it was but as for
>From header, Asterisk removes the "." charachter from the user part of the
sip uri, thus resulting in 111333. Also the Contact header is affected the
same way.

I was wondering what might be causing this? Does Asterisk not allow dots in
the peer names? The call itself connects so it's not much of an issue but it
would be good to know about this, as of course there's a chance I've just
missed something relevant.

cheers,
Olli

Sounds a bit like

>From sip.conf

; The shrinkcallerid function removes '(', ' ', ')', non-trailing '.', and
'-' not
; in square brackets.  For example, the caller id value 555.5555 becomes
5555555
; when this option is enabled.  Disabling this option results in no
modification
; of the caller id value, which is necessary when the caller id represents
something
; that must be preserved.  This option can only be used in the [general]
section.
; By default this option is on.
;
;shrinkcallerid=yes     ; on by default