[asterisk-users] Asterisk removes a charachter from sip peer name

Olli Heiskanen ohjelmistoarkkitehti at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 02:03:53 CST 2015

Hello all,

Just wondering on a behavior I noticed while testing with realtime sip
peers with names like 111.222 at mydomain.com. Using Kamailio as outbound
proxy, it sends Asterisk a sip message where To header value is <
sip:111.222 at mydomain.com> and From header has value "username" <
sip:111.333 at mydomain.com;transport=UDP>;tag=fc609171. When Asterisk sends
out the sip message, the To header is as it was but as for From header,
Asterisk removes the "." charachter from the user part of the sip uri, thus
resulting in 111333. Also the Contact header is affected the same way.

I was wondering what might be causing this? Does Asterisk not allow dots in
the peer names? The call itself connects so it's not much of an issue but
it would be good to know about this, as of course there's a chance I've
just missed something relevant.

cheers,
Olli