[asterisk-users] [OT] switches

Harry McGregor hmcgregor at biggeeks.org
Wed Feb 25 01:18:02 CST 2015

On 02/24/2015 09:30 PM, Thufir wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Feb 2015 13:05:56 -0700, Harry McGregor wrote:
>
>> For a very basic setup it would work, but I would suggest POE at a
>> minimum, and vlan support if possible.
>>
>> Gigabit uplinks, 10/100 for the poe ports
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ProSAFE-M4100-D10-POE-Ethernet-Managed/dp/
> B00AUEYX0Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1424462577&sr=8-3&keywords=netgear+poe
>> and
>>
>> Gigabit all ports
>

> Hypothetical:  lag, choppy connection, dropped calls.  Of course, I'd
> start with checking logs.  How would I establish that the problem is that
> (some) of the ports aren't gigabit?
>
> Small office, about five agents.

If your only running the phone on the port, there is no need for GigE to
the phone, and many phones only support 100Mbit.

If your running phones with built in switches, a computer off the phone,
and the phone supports GigE, the GigE will help keep the computer from
overloading the total available bandwidth, but that is a very low chance
of being an issue to start with.

GigE all ports vs GigE for your server, and 100Mbit for your phones
really is not a major difference, but the price difference between the
two is also very small now days, and you are buying equipment with a
reasonable service life (3-8 years in my opinion), so it's a balance
between a few extra $ now, or waiting and seeing if you want it in the
future, and paying some amount of money to swap it out.

Most of the deployments I have done are with 100Mbit POE to the phones,
and GigE for uplinks between switches and to the Asterisk server(s)

-Harry