[asterisk-users] Timer_fd, pthreads, or DAHDI timer for timing under 1.8.11.0?

Stefan Viljoen viljoens at verishare.co.za
Fri Feb 20 00:38:48 CST 2015

Hi guys

I have some questions regarding the above

1. Why are there different options for timing?

2. What are the differences between these types of timing sources?

3. When should you use what?

4. Is one timer type more "reliable" for an Asterisk system under heavy
loads than another while NOT using any DAHDI hardware - SIP only?

I'm of course referring to the familiar "spamming timer_fd error messages in
the CLI with increasing load until asterisk crashes" phenomenon.

Using 1.8.11.0 on Centos 6.5

Any thoughts appreciated!

Thank you

Stefan