[asterisk-users] PBX hacked: why hundred of calls to the same number ?

Rainer Piper rainer.piper at soho-piper.de
Thu Oct 2 00:52:34 CDT 2014

Am 01.10.2014 um 18:19 schrieb Markus:
> Am 01.10.2014 11:40, schrieb Olivier:
>> Some special numbers generate here and there revenues for callees (and
>> not for callers).
>
> Not just some, but ALL numbers generate revenue for the receiving
> telecom. (Ok ok, a few exceptions, in the US for example)
>
> This is how telecoms have been earning money, ever have been and will
> for a while longer until interconnection fees for incoming traffic
> will be dropped completely, it's a work in progress, especially in the
> EU. (Unfortunately)
>
> There are 2 schemes:
>
> 1) Not so popular, but it's on the rise in the last 1-2 years: get
> landline numbers in country xyz, strike a deal with the telco that
> owns these numbers so that they'll pass a bit of their revenue on to
> you, and find a way to call yourself for free or at a lower rate than
> these numbers pay (= abuse your unlimited subscriber plan). The
> revenue is usually in the area of 0.00x or even 0.000x per minute,
> depending on the country.
>
> 2) Just google International Premium Numbers, or short, IPRN. It's a
> whole world of its own. Revenue is much higher. These are not "real"
> numbers and they never have full worldwide connectivity. So the
> fraudster has 2 tasks: 1) find a carrier through which he can reach
> these numbers and 2) find a way to call these numbers at a lower rate
> than they pay out. 2) is usually accomplished by hacking PBXes (= free
> calls), fraudulent apps etc.  There are tons of stories of abuse
> regarding IPRN out on the web, just research a bit (quite interesting
> actually). Some technical background information on 1) How does it
> work? Where does the revenue come from you might wonder? First to be
> said, it can never work without a fraudulent telecom operator that is
> part of the scheme. Imagine you are calling from France to Latvia.
> Let's say the call passes France, Switzerland, Czech Republic and then
> goes to Latvia. Each carrier on the path passes the call on to the
> next carrier. Now, let's say the carrier in the Czech Republic is the
> evil one. The call comes in, and they simply say: well, this Latvian
> number that you just called belongs to us, we terminate the call here
> and pick it up. Billing time starts. Now, they charge the Swiss telco
> for the incoming call to Latvia, of course. And the Swiss telco
> charges the French telecom. The French telecom charges their
> subscriber (e.g. hacked PBX). The call never makes it to Latvia! Now,
> the Czech Republic telco works together with an IPRN provider (or they
> run an evil IPRN service by themselves kind of anonymously). They pass
> a bit of the money they get from the Swiss telecom on to the IPRN
> "owner" (the fraudster) and keep the remaining money for themselves.
> Easy money! This is why IPRNs don't have worldwide connectivity and
> can usually never get called from within a country (path is too short,
> no fraudulent telecom in between). They can even be real numbers that
> [...]
Is the destination Number like Country Code +972?

+972 59 xxxxxx(x) mobile - Jawall [moving to 7-digit subscriber numbers]

source - http://www.wtng.info/wtng-972-il.html

My SIP Proxy logs all the unauth. INVITEs and I found the a lot calls go
to the Country code +972 xxxxxxxxxxx

This is my log from this morning.:
Oct 2 07:32:15 server /sbin/kamailio[29866]: NOTICE: <script>: blocking
IP 69.30.254.234 sipcli/v1.8 rm=INVITE aU=<null> rU=00972597613940
<callto:00972597613940>

--
*Rainer Piper*
Integration engineer