[asterisk-users] "transmit_silence" not properly recognized on 1.8 ?

Matthew Jordan mjordan at digium.com
Tue May 27 10:45:28 CDT 2014

On Sat, May 24, 2014 at 3:03 PM, Maximilian Grobecker
<m.grobecker at portunity.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've got a problem at the moment, that setting "transmit_silence = yes"
> seems to have no effect on Asterisk 1.8-Certified.
>
> Although it's enabled and "core show settings" confirms, that it is
> really enabled, there are no RTP packets sent by Asterisk when waiting
> for DMTF input or when "Wait()" is called.
> Also, there seems to be a small gap of 2 or 3 not sent packets when
> playing several files one after another.

<snip>

Without looking at a DEBUG log, I'm not sure what anyone can tell you.
Wait does call ast_safe_sleep_conditional, which enables a silence
generator on the channel if (a) there is no generator on the channel
and (b) ast_opt_transmit_silence is true (which it should be based on
your configuration):

    /* If no other generator is present, start silencegen while waiting */
    if (ast_opt_transmit_silence && !chan->generatordata) {
        silgen = ast_channel_start_silence_generator(chan);
    }

Starting a silence generator should emit a debug level 1 message
indicating that it has started. If your log doesn't show that, then
there may be another generator present that is preventing silence from
kicking off.

--
Matthew Jordan
Digium, Inc. | Engineering Manager