[asterisk-users] IOPS required by Asterisk for Call Recording

Matthew Jordan mjordan at digium.com
Mon Jan 27 15:55:35 CST 2014

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 1:02 PM, Ron Wheeler
<rwheeler at artifact-software.com> wrote:
> Can you get a reading of the total number of I/Os during your test? Peak
> IOPS?
> That might tell you very quickly about the storage pattern that Asterisk
> uses.
>
> Can you configure a RAM drive to see if disk is really the bottleneck. May
> need to add some more RAM memory to your configuration.
>
> What is your network capacity? Usually one can write faster than the network
> can deliver - just to make sure that you are chasing the right bottleneck.
>
> What happens at 80 calls to tell you that you have run out of IOPS?

Dovetailing on this question, I'll add one as well:

Are you recording using MixMonitor, or Monitor?

Depending on your answer to the "what happens at 80 calls", you may
get better results with MixMonitor over Monitor. MixMonitor offloads
the recording of the media to a separate thread; Monitor attempts to
record the audio on the thread servicing the channel(s).

Matt

--
Matthew Jordan
Digium, Inc. | Engineering Manager